Sunday, May 02, 2010

Derby Day Fun!

I hope everyone had a good May Day/Derby Day yesterday?

A good deal of my childhood was spent in Kentucky and across the river in Cincinnati. Derby Day is a huge deal in that part of the country and I remember going to parties every year. Despite no longer living in the Bluegrass State, I like to celebrate Derby Day with my family. Unfortunately, mr. mraynes had concerts all day yesterday so we weren't able to watch the horse race, make our yearly hot brown sandwhiches or drink mint juleps.

Never one to be deterred from my favorite traditions, we tivod the race and made our traditional Derby Day fare today. Personally, I think everybody should enjoy Derby Day so I'm including my favorite recipes.



Hot Brown Sandwiches: (I know it looks gross in the picture but they are very good!)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these lovelies in the future!



3 comments:

  1. The drink and sandwich look delicious. My mother used to tell me about Mint Juleps.

    And, how did I not know you grew up in Kentucky? I have a college friend there now. So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the Derby Day activities. I made sure that Andres and I sat down to watch the race, but we had too many errands to run on Saturday to celebrate in any other way. Next time we'll have to go to you guys. I think a trip to Denver is definitely worth a big brown sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I lived in Kentucky from ages 2-8. And you should totally try mint juleps, mind-blowing!

    Seriously, Sarah, you need to come to Denver!

    ReplyDelete